THE CONSEQUENCES OF HIP FRACTURES REPRESENT ONE OF THE MAJOR CAUSES OF MORTALITY AMONG SENIORS AND A GREAT LOSS OF QUALITY OF LIVE
Each year worldwide, a massive number of elderies fall down and break their hips. The consequences are dreadful for their health and generate tremendous medical expenses.
- 5 million hip fractures in the world each year.
- 350 000 hip fractures in the US each year
- 9 out of 10 hip fractures occur after a fall down.
- 23% of the victims (>55 years) die within a year after a hip fracture.
- 50% of the victims lose their autonomy.
- Billion dollars in medical fees wasted in United States.
“90% OF HIP FRACTURES OCCUR AFTER A FALL “
Break of the thigh bone (generally at the femoral neck).
After a fall
Most of the time, patients need surgery and a prothesis to replace the broken bone.
From 3 months up to 1 year and more. The patient should walk rapidly for a better recovery.
75% are women because of osteoroposis that makes their bones weak.
- Harvard Medical School: Hip fracture
- NCBI: Hip fracture as risk factor for mortality in patients over 65 years of age.
- Osteoporosis International: Hip fractures in the elderly: A world-wide projection
- International Osteoporosis Foundation.